Christmas Shopping season is fast approaching, the malls seem to be more crowded than normal, even on weekdays (and our neighbours to the south will be kicking off the season with Black Friday).
Here are some tips to help you stay safe and to prevent you becoming a victim of crime this Christmas season:
- If you use cash, obtain your cash from recognized financial institutions and avoid stand alone bank machines (which can be targets of various skimming devices). Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Know how to recognize legal tender (Canadian and American bills have various counterfeiting prevention features).
- Keep your wallets and purses safely secured at all times.
- When using credit and debit cards, always protect you PIN and shield entry (from prying eyes and/or surveillance devices).
- Do not carry large amounts of gifts. Secure them in your vehicles trunk and place in your home as soon as possible. Keep them out of plain sight.
- Park your vehicle in a well lit area. Always lock your doors.
- Above all, be aware and trust your instincts. Report suspicious people, activity or behaviour to mall security, store owners or workers or the police.
In most cases, crime is preventable, be safe and have a Happy and Safe Christmas Shopping season.
Chris Smith CSSBB
Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage