The confirmed presence of blue-green algae (Cyababaceria, aka "pond scum") in parts of Sturgeon Lake between Sturgeon Point and Bobcaygeon, has resulted in a advisory from the Haliburton, Kawartha and Pine Ridge Health Unit to avoid the use of water from the lake in affected areas for drinking, cooking, bathing, washing clothes and dishes and providing water to pets. People, dogs and other pets should be kept from entering and swimming in affected areas of Sturgeon Lake.
Ingesting this algae can lead to headaches, fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and a host of other health problems. Contact with water contaminated with blue-green algae can result in skin rashes, swollen lips, eye irritation, ear ache, sore throat and other symptoms. If you have been in contact or ingested water containing blue-green algae and are exhibiting symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.
The consuming of fish or shellfish caught in areas containing blue-green algae is discouraged.
This explains why the cottage is so quiet... no jet skis on the lake... perhaps that is why there seemed to be less people when I arrived Saturday evening. We had intended to do some fishing, and perhaps to swim, but we will manage to find other activities to keep us (Alec) occupied.
Helen told me her uncle had told her about this before they came up earlier in the week, but it was "news" to me. She also told me about "killer amoeba" in warm lakes in the U.S. south. I had to look this up. I have never heard of anything like this, and perhaps this, too, is true...
If you are interested, these are four good links I found:
Third amoeba-related death this month in the U.S.
2007-Phoenix, Arizona - 6 Die from Brain eating Amoeba
Parent's Summer Nightmare - Killer Brain-eating Amoeba
Researcher's target killer amoeba
Chris Smith CSSBB
Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage