My friends, Peter and Linda Pfann, shared this checklist of Home Maintenance for the month of August.
If you are looking to buy a home in Victoria, call Peter or Linda at 250.213.9490 or visit Peter or Linda Pfann.
If you are looking to buy and/or sell a home in Dufferin, South Simcoe, York or North Peel Region, call me, Chris Smith @ 1.866.936.3500 or visit my website for important information and real estate assistance.
Greater Victoria Home Maintenance Checklist for August
It is August, and the last thing you want to think about is home maintenance, it is way to nice out there and there are so many other things to do.
However, please allocate a few hours here or there, and complete the few items on the Greater Victoria Home Maintenance Checklist for August, once done you will be happy you did.
To keep ongoing home and property maintenance manageable Peter and Linda Pfann have created a short list of suggestions for you as a quick and easy monthly reminder.
You will find that completing these easy and simple tasks, will avoid getting "burned" with more extensive and expensive repairs in the long run.
The way we often look after things is walking around with a tool belt or bag of basic tools, and fix things as we go about our way for a few hours at the time.
Here is your Greater Victoria Home Maintenance Checklist for August, 2011:
If you have any suggestions items that you think we should add or explain more about, please contact Peter and Linda Pfann
- Smoke Detectors - Check operation by pushing test button to cause it to emit sound - if it does not check the circuit breaker. Check and replace the battery when necessary. (Most detectors will emit an intermittent beep when the battery is failing).
- Check CO (Carbon Monoxide) detectors if installed.
- Check the fire extinguishers for proper charge levels indicated on the gauge. Homeowners may contact their local Fire Department for recommendations on the appropriate number of extinguishers and the best locations to place them.
- Test all GFCIs to ensure proper operation.
- Clean in-sink garburator blades by grinding small ice cubes and sliced lemon, while running cold water down the drain (this will remove food debris which causes odors).
- Clean or replace range hood filter and make sure it exhausts properly.
- Check for signs of water leaks around toilets, under sinks and around dishwasher regularly.
- Clean and freshen sink drains by flushing with warm water and baking soda.
- Inspect and clean or replace furnace filters, humidifier plates or drums and electronic air filters. Clean with a calcium and rust remover or replace as required per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Clean aerators on faucets regularly and check screens in washing machine supply hoses.
- Check water filters and water softener appliances regularly. The life of the filters is dependent upon water usage and local water conditions.
- Clean your dryer lint trap regularly, if your home has a booster fan installed be sure to check and clean the lint trap in that as well. Damaged or torn lint traps should be replaced.
- Check the Temperature Pressure Release (TPR) valve on the water heater.
- The hot water tank could also be drained every six months to prevent sediment build up. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation to turn off gas or power and protect against hot water burns. (mixed opinions exist on flushing water tanks)
- Trim and prune scrubs, trees and plants away from house, gutters and drains, for fire safety, as well as prevents clogging of gutters and down spouts, and reduces insect and rodent entry to the house (rodent ladders)
- Ensure your windows and doors have proper safety latches, and that they are used
- Check the Garage door safety retreat mechanism, adjust or repair as needed.
- Keep propane and other flammable products properly closed and secure, and shaded areas and prevent overheating
- One Big safety issue during the HOT season
Don't ever leave "the kiddie" or full size Pool unattended or unsupervised, while little ones are around
To complete this entire Victoria Home Maintenance and Safety Checklist for August will take a few hours each day during a weekend.
If you do not want to climb on ladders or feel uncomfortable completing some or all of these tasks, please talk to Peter and Linda Pfann,
we have a number of resources that will ensure that you home and yourself are well cared for any time of the year.
With this Victoria Home Maintenance Checklist for August , the work does not have to feel or be a chore, so we hope you have a little Pfunn with it, make it a family project and share the load.
Before you know it, you will be enjoying the fruits of your labour, and will have saved lots of money, time and frustration.
- In case you missed last months Home Maintenance Tips, please catch up here now, before your Home Maintenance becomes a big job.
- If you wonder what tools you may need, Here is a link to our Home Maintenance Basic Tool Kit.
- For additional Home Maintenance tips and suggestions we have compiled them here for your convenience.
Greater Victoria Home Maintenance Checklist for August
Please let us know how we can be of Service to you.
Kind Regards, and Live a Pfanntastic Life
Peter & Linda Pfann,
MBA, ABR, SRES, E-Pro, CSA, Associate Broker & Realtors
"Pfanntastic Homes, Old Fashion Service, Since 1986."
Real Estate Consultants & Associate Broker at;
Cornerstone Properties Ltd.
# 106 - 1001 Cloverdale Ave.
Victoria BC, V8X 4C9
Direct: 1(250) 213 - 9490
Direct Fax: 1(250) 412 - 6530
Victoria Real Estate Market Snapshot : www.victoriasnapshot.com
Subscribe to our Blog : Pfanntastic Victoria Real Estate Blog
Oh, By The Way ...Talk To Peter or Linda, if you know anyone who would appreciate our Pfanntastic Services.
Scan me with your smartphone to bookmark
our mobile website at http://victoriahomes.realbird.com
Chris Smith CSSBB
Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage