Karen Bernetti, a home stage based out of Southington CT and Active Rain Blogger posted this great guideling with some useful decorating dimensions. If you have a room that just doesn't feel right, check this out, you might find the reason...
This handy resource guide will help you remember a few home decorating MATH FACTS...
- Artwork should fill 2/3 of the horizontal space above furniture.
- The bottom of artwork should be hung 3”- 6” from the top of the furniture.
- Artwork with no furniture beneath it should be hung 55" - 60" above the floor and should fill 2/3 of the wall space.
- Maintain a distance of 30" - 36" for main walkways around furniture. Anything less than 30" will appear too crowded.
- Area rugs (generally 6' x 9' or larger) help ground seating areas, just make sure there's no visible space between the rug and the furniture.
- Use a minimum of 3 regular size (not accent size) lamps per room. Placing them in the shape of a triangle will ensure dark spots in a room are illuminated.
- Chandeliers should be hung 26" to 36" above the dining table.
- Hang drapes and panels 6" - 9" above the window casing (if possible). This will make the window appear larger.
- Valances should be 18" - 20" long. If possible hang them so that the bottom just reaches the top of the window glass, covering the casing and blinds.
If you like these tips then you'll LOVE the Ready2Sellin30Days do-it-yourself home study program. Ready2Sellin30Days is designed to help you prepare your house for sale in 30 days, more or less by assigning a different task for you to complete every day for 30 days.
Week 1 - Focuses on identifying your home's strengths and weaknesses, getting you emotionally prepared to sell and making those minor repairs.
Week 2 - Will inspire you to start packing for your move by getting your house organized, de-personalized and de-cluttered.
Week 3 - Starts with inexpensive ways to update your home with PAINT (complete with how-to's, tips for selecting interior and exterior paint colors). Then moves on to an action plan for getting and keeping your house spotlessly clean.
Week 4 - Is all about setting the stage....furniture placement, accessories, artwork window treatments and more - all on a budget because NO ONE wants to spend a lot of money on a house they're selling!
In Ready2Sellin30Days you'll find tips, checklists, action items, how to's and ultra inspiring success stories from stagers and real estate professionals all over the country - (you may recognize more than a few names).... check out Ready2Sellin30Days.com for a sneak peak.
Karen Bernetti is a Real Estate Stager, Former Realtor®, Author, Speaker, and Owner of Staging4Smooth Transitions - specializing in assisting seniors with their downsize moves.
Karen is also the Co-creator of the Ready2Sellin30Days® System - an innovative, interactive, multi-media educational program designed to teach do-it-yourself homeowners EVERYTHING they need to know about preparing a home for sale during tough economic times. Visit www.Ready2Sellin30Days.com to learn more.
Stay up to date on all the latest real estate staging and home decor trends with The Home Sale Success with Karen & Ann Blog! Sign up here to receive The Home Sale Success with Karen & Ann Newsletter!Call 860-302-0333 for more information.
Chris Smith CSSBB
Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage