Russel Ray, San Diego's home inspector extraordinaire, posted this great information about the GLASS in a property. And the importance of tgempered or Safety glass. He give some great advice potential home buyers should heed
Do you know what kind of gl*** you have?
Many of our older homes still have sliding glass doors, floor-to-ceiling windows, and glass doors and walls in the shower area that are not tempered safety glass. An accidental fall into those doors, windows, and walls can cause serious injury.
The difference between tempered safety glass and regular glass is that tempered safety glass will hold together and simply shatter like that here:
The fact that it generally will hold together will prevent someone from falling through the glass and possibly having serious cuts.
In one of the four corners there will be a tiny seal etched into the glass. Sometimes it will say "tempered" or "safety glass." Other times it will a group of letters and numbers, but if it's etched into the glass, it's highly likely that it is "tempered" or "safety glass."
Tempered safety glass is significantly more expensive than regular glass, though, so if the tempered glass is shattered, home owners sometimes replace it with regular glass without realizing the possible consequences.
Check your own home, and check the homes you are listing or your Clients are buying. You can even ask your home inspector about them!
Sellers can either be proactive in replacing older glass or be prepared for the lack of tempered safety glass being noted in the home inspection report.
It is my considered opinion that Buyers should always list the lack of tempered safety glass on the list of requested repairs for the Sellers.
Twenty most recent posts
- Music on Mondays — Add some music to your week
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
- Pay It Forward — All day long?
- Business & Marketing — Tracking the return on your investment
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — City slickers know when they are out in the boondocks because they ain't got a clue
- Flower Fiesta — Flower Fiesta - The power of flowers after a long, hard day
- Business & Marketing — Did your mother not teach you to share?
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — You decide: "Ouch!" or "Wow!"
- Business & Marketing — Are you a strength or a weakness?
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — "It's just dog poop"
- Business & Marketing — Reaching for goals? Persistence pays!
- ActiveRain — YOU - yes YOU! - are invited to....
- ActiveRain — Wouldn't it be nice if our ActiveRain statistics were actually true?
- ActiveRain — How to game the system in five easy steps
- Business & Marketing — Resist temptation!
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Dear Real Estate Agent: I'm perfectly capable of selling my own services
- ActiveRain — You could lose points by recycling old blog posts!
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Why a home inspection is not expensive
- Business & Marketing — Kittycat Marketing (or, Less is More)
- Business & Marketing — Guerrilla Marketing
If you need a home inspection to make your day,
make sure it's one by Russel Ray!
Visit Russel Ray Photos at Zazzle for custom products
featuring the photography of Russel Ray.
Member since 2003 of
The world’s largest and best trade association for home inspectors!
Chris Smith CSSBB
Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage