This long weekend has traditionally marked the official start of spring in Ontario. Today has started sunny with few clouds, though rain is forecasted for the rest of the weekend.
Some of us will visit our cottage for the first time and open it up for the rest of the spring and summer.
Today seems ideal to spend outdoors, and if we are not going out with our families, many of us will work on our lawns and gardens and engage in spring planting earnestly this weekend. Traditionally it will frost extremely rarely after this date.
If/when it rains on Sunday and/or Monday, some of us might be thinking "spring cleaning".
If you haven't done so yet, and might think of doing so this weekend, here are some handy hints:
1) Dust with a rag or duster before you wash. Wet dust is much more difficult to clean. This is a perfect time to get to places often overlooked (such as the tops of kitchen and bathroom cabinets, filters and kitchen and bathroom vents etc)
2) Wash the walls, ceilings, fridge and stove in the kitchen. A mixture of lemon juice and water in the microwave can be a natural way of eliminating odours. Washing shelves and cupboard doors can be a great opportunity to re-organize and identify items that are no longer used and could be donated, re-used, or re-cycled. Attack the contents of the fridge and freezer with the same zest.
3) Closets - re-organize, store seasonal clothes, and identify items that are no longer used. They can be prime candidates for donations to local charities.
4) Curtains and Carpets - a good wash will brighten up your whole home, and make it smell fresher also.
5) Windows and Screens - Hosing down screens for us are a must every spring, and clean windows just seem to let so much more sunshine in.
This list is by no means comprehensive... but if you are indoors at home this weekend, any or all of these spring cleaning chores will make you feel much better about your home when complete =)
Victoria Day will normally feature fireworks on Monday, check locally to see where and when the Fireworks will begin!
Hope everyone has a Happy Victoria Day!
Chris Smith CSSBB
Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage